Roan Forest Robotics Teams Shine
Submitted By Lisa Watson
Two teams from Roan Forest Elementary School participated at the FIRST® LEGO® League Qualifier at North East ISD’s Madison High School on January 20, 2018. The “Rusty Gears” and “The Wet Tentacles,” both comprised of eight awesome fourth and fifth graders, represented Roan Forest with outstanding leadership and synergy. Competing amongst 22 teams in four categories: Robot Design, Robot Game, Project, and Cores Values, Roan Forest’s second ever FLL Robotics teams did an amazing job, with “The Wet Tentacles” taking home a Core Values Inspiration Award.
FIRST® LEGO® League is a global program that engages elementary and middle school students in real-world challenges by pairing a robotics competition with a research project based on an annual theme. Core Values are the heart of FIRST® LEGO® League. They describe how to work together and respect one another. Core Values include:
- We are a team.
- We do the work to find solutions with guidance from our coaches and mentors.
- We know our coaches and mentors don’t have all the answers; we learn together.
- We honor the spirit of friendly competition.
- What we discover is more important than what we win.
- We share our experiences with others.
- We display Gracious Professionalism®and “Coopertition®” in everything we do.
- We have FUN!
“The Rusty Gears” team members include Lorenzo Dominquez, Nolton James, Chloe Crawford, Sienna, Rowan Landsgard, James Sands, Keahi Meno, and Tori Valencia.
“The Wet Tentacles” team members include Iliyaan Momin, Michael Repper, Daniella Diamond, Meerub Shahid, Reid Wilson, Sameeha Khetani, Ehsenn Menchant, and Adeyemi Dosunmu.
Both teams are led by Mrs. Pederson Mrs. Toriello.
Congratulations Rusty Gears and Wet Tentacles! The Roan Forest community is so proud of your leadership and dedication!